Friday, May 22, 2009

Are you a loud, rude American?

So all of your should know by now that I am an opinionated person. Here's one of the things that drives me nuts about tourists. For some reason, many Americans feel the need to stand out when they travel. People suddenly become incapable of maintaining awareness of their surroundings, causing them to adopt blank stares, bump into others, and stop in the middle of walkways. They talk so loudly that entire planes can hear their inane babble. They complain when the country they are visiting doesn't look and act exactly like America (FYI, you left America on purpose!). They expect everyone to speak English. They forget how to count money. Perhaps you or someone you know has done this. It happens, I forgive you. But is it really that hard to talk quietly, be respectful, and learn to recognize foreign denominations? Let's all do America's reputation a favor and try to be more considerate of the countries we love to visit.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, from what I've noticed, it is for most people. On the plus side, it's not just Americans!
    I had the opportunity to spend a day with a visiting tourist group from the UK last year, and they're just as bad (if not worse, once you add the prejudice).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just as bad in English-speaking countries. I was embarassed by some fellow Americans while I was in Scotland. I understand accents can be difficult to decipher, but that doesn't make other people stupid.

    ReplyDelete