Sunday, May 17, 2009

Abu Simbel


This is a plagarized picture, because we forgot to take one with the iPod, but this is exactly like the pictures we took. This is the temple Abu Simbel, built by the King Ramses the Great. There is another temple built nearby for his favorite wife, Nefertari. The entire temple was moved 60 m higher in elevation by the government when the Nile was finally dammed, because the lake that formed (Lake Nasser) would have flooded it's original location. Inside, there are beautiful heiroglyphics depicting King Ramses reign, military victories, etc.
- Anna

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome way to celebrate finally being done with school. I was happy just to be able to finally complete the landscaping I have been wanting to get done for the last 4 years : )! I think about you guys often and I hope you have a great time as I am sure you will. I am sad we didn't get to have that cup of coffee before you left, but hopefully will keep in touch and be able to visit sometime when you finally get back home. Ian and I have secured a house to rent in Atlanta and we should be moved in there by June 1st. My internship starts June 24th...I'll have to look at your itinerary to see what country you will be in at that time...so jealous : ) Stay safe and I love your blog so I hope you are able to keep it updated...I'll keep following. Cheers! Tiffany

    ReplyDelete